Tuesday 27 April 2010

Edinburgh Speedway


While down South for the Scottish Press awards I stayed an extra night to catch the speedway at Armadale.  Edinburgh Monarchs were at home vs local rivals the Glagow Tigers.  I had been before, but not with my camera.  Luckily the rain was very light and so the race was not cancelled at the last minute.

I was not allowed inside the ring due to Health and Safety rules limiting the number of photographers to two, so I had to find a high vantage point to see over the 4 foot high barriers. The barriers were needed as there was one big crash where a rider's throttle stuck open.

A crowd of around 1,500 from 8 to 80 years of age, enjoyed 15 races over 2 hours.  The Tigers won in Edinburgh for the first time in years.

Both teams have foreign riders who fly in especially for the race and then fly back to Europe to race for other teams.

No comments:

Post a Comment