About Me

My photo
I'm a part-time freelance sports photographer covering Caithness and the North of Scotland.

Saturday, 29 June 2013

Eain Mackintosh Cup Final

A bumper crowd watches the play

Ross Allan on the attack

James Murray blasts wide

Michael Gray blocks Gordy MacNab and gets sent off

Michael Gray got sent off for this body check on Gordy MacNab

Goalie Darryn MacKay fouls Gordy MacNab to give away a penalty

Gordy MacNab side foots the penalty low into the right corner

Gordy MacNab accepts the man of the match cup from Stewart Munro

Mary Mackintosh presents the Eain Mackintosh Memorial cup to Staxigoe Utd captain Colin Sinclair

Mary Mackintosh and grandchildren with the winning Staxigoe Utd team

Staxigoe Utd beat Pentland Utd 2-1 to win the Eain Mackintosh Memorial cup in Halkirk today.  A bumper crowd enjoyed the dull, but dry weather. Staxigoe's Gordy MacNab had the best early chance, but blasted over. Pentland had most of the play in the first half and Ross Allan scored after 25 mins, by dribbling past 4 defenders to slot the ball past the Staxigoe keeper Daniel Budge.

Staxigoe came out fighting in the second half and had some good chances. Martin Banks clipped the top of the bar with a great strike. The turning point came after 25 mins when Gordy MacNab burst through and was blocked by Pentland Utd keeper Michael Gray just outside the box. Gray was sent off and Darryn Mackay took over between the sticks.

A few minutes later, Gordy MacNab burst through again and was felled by Darryn in the box. Many thought it was a sending off offence, but only a penalty was awarded. MacNab slotted the ball home. 2 mins later MacNab latched onto a through ball and hit a first time shot low into the net.

The Pentland Utd front three of Ross Allan, James Murray and Lee MacDougal couldn't find a way through and the score finished at 2-1.

Gordy MacNab won the man of the match award. He was a constant threat to the Stabbs defence who couldn't handle his speed and power.

No comments:

Post a Comment