About Me

My photo
I'm a part-time freelance sports photographer covering Caithness and the North of Scotland.

Sunday, 2 March 2014

Orkney RFC vs Caithness (11-13)

Reece Coghill gets stopped

Roddy Gray

Colin Smith

Reece Coghill

Reece Coghill in a flying tackle

Douglas Webster in a flying tackle

Gordy MacLeod gets a painful hit

Danny Gordon

Evan Sutherland

Stevie Campbell

a section of the large crowd

Reece Coghill scores a try

Gary MacKay converts the try from the touchline

Caithness players are mobbed by young fans at the final whistle

Around 100 Caithness players, officials and fans travelled over to Orkney yesterday (1st March) for two matches in Kirkwall. The Caithness U16s played a friendly against their Orkney counterparts who just finished 2nd in the North of Scotland league. The young Greens caused an upset by winning 14-7 to record their first win in over two years. Pics to follow.

The Orkney 1st XV needed to beat Caithness and also win their last three games (vs Dunfermline, Perthshire and Gordonians) to win the league. However, the Greens spoiled their ambition by beating them 13-11 in front of a huge and noisy crowd at a very sunny Picaquoy centre.

The Orcadians had the wind and sun behind them in the first half and totally dominated the half with Caithness only getting into Orkney's 22 about 3 times. However, Orkney only scored two penalties to go in at half-time 6-0 up. Gary Mackay scored two penalties early in the 2nd half to set up a cracking finale. Reece Coghill scored a try with about 8mins left and Gary Mackay slotted home the conversion from near the touchline to send the Caithness fans wild.

Orkney went all out in attack and scored a try with 5 mins left. The kicker just started his run to kick the conversion when the wind blew the ball over. He picked it up to try a drop goal but it fell short. The Caithness defence tackled like demons in the last few minutes to keep Orkney from scoring and at one stage a fight broke out on the touchline as Orkney were dramatically stopped a few metres from the try line.

Orkney had most of the play and were unlucky not to gain at least a draw. It was the first time this season that they had lost at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment